The doctoral education at SLU is regulated by the SLU guidelines for doctoral education which is decided by the Vice-chancellor. On this web page you will find rules, documents and forms used in doctoral education.
For a specific doctoral student, the version of the guidelines applies that was valid at the point of admission for that student if the student does not choose to change to a newer version. Please observe that before 1 January 2013 faculty specific guidelines were valid for the doctoral students admitted at that time.
You will find forms and check-lists for doctoral education at SLU below the links to guidelines and regulations.
Admission regulations, guidelines, subjects and degree outcomes
- Admission regulations for doctoral education 2018
- English summary of the Vice-Chancellor's decision on an advanced course in doctoral supervision (17 May 2023)
- Temporary exemption from the guidelines for third-cycle (doctoral) education (02/12/2020)
- University guidelines for doctoral education 2019
- Guidelines for joint and double degrees
- Translation of attachement to Vice-Chancellor's decision on criteria for study activity and actual period of study (13 December 2017)
- Doctoral education subjects and general study plans
- Degree outcomes for doctoral degree
- Degree outcomes for licentiate degree
- The Swedish Higher Education Ordinance (Sw. "Högskoleförordningen")
- Doctoral student salary agreement - "the doctoral student salary ladder"
- Travel grants and stipends
- Insurance for PhD students with scholarship
- Cheating and plagiarism
Older guidelines and decisions:
- University guidelines for doctoral education (for students admitted after 1 July 2015)
- University guidelines for doctoral education (for students admitted after 1 January 2013)
- Faculty-specific guidelines for doctoral education (for students admitted before 1 January 2013)
Forms, checklists and guides
The forms below can be digitally signed using EduSign.
Those who are not employed at a university or university college, but have a Swedish personal identity number, can use EduID.
Please don't mix physical and digital signing in the same document.
Recruitment and admission of a new doctoral student
Planning and follow up of doctoral education
- Change in supervisor group
- The ISP portal (Individual study plans)
- Travel grants for internationalisation
- Midway follow-up
- Midway seminar - instructions for evaluator
- Fur's instructions for application and decision-making process for prolonged study time
- Request for change to university-common guidelines
- Application for changing doctoral education subject
- Resignation of doctoral education
Template for doctoral student registration of actual period of study
With the help of an SLU-approved template for calculation of net study time, the doctoral student continually registers the type and extent of activities not included in the program but conducted in parallel with the doctoral program. Download a copy of the template and enter editing mode.
Recommended procedure for calculating the actual period of study
- Activities included in doctoral courses and programmes are stated in the ISP.
- The doctoral student enters, with the help of an SLU-approved template, the type and extent of activities performed that are not included in their studies but which are carried out in parallel with these.
- The doctoral education administrator at the department or equivalent provides the principal supervisor with instructions, Ladok excerpts and the Ladok report form in ample time before every six-month Ladok report.
- The principal supervisor and doctoral student review how much time has been spent on their courses and programmes during the past six months. This is done by reviewing the doctoral student's personal records and other relevant information regarding sick leave, etc. When they have reached a consensus, they both sign the Ladok report.
- The head of department reviews and approves the Ladok report for registration. If the principal supervisor and the doctoral student do not reach a consensus, the head of department decides on the actual period of study in their place.
- An authorised Ladok administrator registers the Ladok report.
Registering study activity and form of support in Ladok
This form is used in the follow-up of study activity and form of support for all doctoral students that is condcuted once per semester. The information is registered in Ladok and forwarded to Statistics Sweden (SCB).
Routines for prolonged study time (prolongation)
Different types of assignments may justify extending the doctoral student period. There is also an option to apply for extended training due to consequences of the covid-19 pandemic (see below).
Positions of trust at faculty level (such as a representative on the faculty board or doctoral education committee (Fun)) are reimbursed at the faculty level. Contact information and instructions for each faculty can be found on the contact information page for the doctoral education.
Prolongation can also take place at central SLU level (for example, a representative on SLU's board or Fur - The Doctoral Education Council). Application form for extension at central SLU level. For more information about this, contact Lotta Jäderlund.
Doctoral student register excerpt from Ladok
- Template for doctoral course syllabus
- Approval of doctoral course syllabus
- Crediting of courses (you use this form if you would like to credit course on first or second level, or a course taken before admission to doctoral education)
- Template for doctoral course evaluation
- Template evaluation of education activity
- Travel grants for SLU courses and Nova courses
- Approval of course in doctoral degree (VH-faculty, use this form if you would like to have an approval in advance - before sending in the application for public defence)
Defence of thesis and application for degree
- Conflict of interest declaration - public defence of thesis (pdf)
- Conflict of interest declaration - public defence of thesis (word)
- Application for public defence of thesis/licentiate seminar
- Pre-examination minutes compilation thesis
- Information before thesis public defence (VH faculty)
- Checklist for thesis defence application (VH faculty)
- Approval of course in doctoral degree (VH-faculty)
- Examining committee minutes
- You apply for your degree using Ladok for students
Checklists and guides
- Checklist for annual follow-up
- Checklist for forms of cooperation
- Guidelines for the order of authors on papers
- Guide for formulating individual intended learning outcomes to meet qualitative degree outcomes
- Policy for crediting papers in exam
- Checklist for admission application (VH faculty)
- Checklist for thesis defence application (VH faculty)