Teaching in Higher Education, basic course
Main target group
The target group for this course includes new instructors and instructors that have not yet taken a basic education course, doctoral students, and all other teaching staff at SLU.
The course is equivalent to the "Grundkurs i Högskolepedagogik”. It is taught using distance learning technology with three face-to-face meetings (2+2+2 days).
Aim of the course
The participants of this course develop knowledge and skills to obtain a pedagogical platform to be able to work as professional teachers at the university level.
Upon completion of this course, the participant is expected to be able to:
- Reflect about the role of the teacher, for example one’s understanding of knowledge and how to treat students.
- Describe how you as a teacher can integrate sustainable development, gender equality, and internationalization perspectives into your teaching.
- Plan diverse teaching activities/sessions, justifying the choice of intended learning outcomes, assessment methods, and teaching and learning activities.
- Describe your department's position in the university’s organization and reflect over your department’s culture and learning environment in relation to your work as a teacher.
- Communicate a message through an oral presentation.
- Problematize didactical challenges and questions by critically examining a teaching situation.
- Describe how groups function in different educational situations.
This course corresponds to 3 weeks of full-time work.
This course is taught in English.
The course and the course literature is free for PhD- students at SLU
For others, please note that you will be charged an additional cost for course literature.