Doctoral student support
This page was created to help doctoral students find important Staff web pages.
You can also find general information about doctoral education at SLU at the staff web.
Advice and support
- PhD student councils - see their PhD student Handbook
- Practical information and advice for living and working in Sweden and at SLU
- Information from the Swedish Council for Higher Education about doctoral education
- PhD student commissoner (DO)
- Contact persons at the faculties
- Criteria for residence permit - Swedish Migration Agency
- N.B.: The doctoral student can't apply for residence permit before the the faculty board has decided to admit him/her
- Language support - Offers support in written and oral presentation, both drop-in and individual tutorials
- Guidance with designing experiments and statistical analyses- Centre for Statistics (Statistics@SLU)
- Guidance with designing experiments and statistical analyses - Unit for applied statistics and matemathics
- Doctoral student courses
- Courses arranged by NOVA
- Pedagogical education
- Research schools
- The SLU guidelines for doctoral education (for students admitted after January 1, 2013)
- Previous guidelines and documents from each faculty (for students admitted before January 1, 2013)
- Individual study plan (ISP) 2017
- Templates for indivdual study plans for each faculty (for students admitted before January 1, 2013)
- Doctoral education subjects and general study plans
- Degree outcomes - doctoral degree
- Degree outcomes - licentiate degree
- University common forms for doctoral education
- Doctoral student excerpt: performed courses, activity etc. (only in Swedish)
Template for doctoral student registration of net study time
With the help of an SLU-approved template the doctoral student continually registers the type and extent of activities not included in the program but conducted in parallel with the postgraduate program. Download a copy of the template and enter editing mode.
Recommended routine for calculating net study time
1. Activities included in the postgraduate education are specified in the ISP.
2. The doctoral student registers, using the SLU-approved template, the type and extent of activities not included in the course of education but conducted in parallel with the postgraduate program.
3. Doctoral education administrator at the department or equivalent issues instructions, Ladokutdrag and Ladokrapport form to the main supervisor well in advance of each half-yearly report to Ladok.
4. The main supervisor and doctoral student, using the doctor's own registration and other relevant information on sick leave, etc., review the amount of time spent on postgraduate education in the last six months, reaching consensus and filling in the Ladok report, after which both sign it.
5. The head of department reviews and approves the Ladok report for registration. If the main supervisor and doctoral student fail to reach a consensus, the head of department takes decisions on the net study time in their place.
6. The Deputy Ladok Administrator registers the Ladok Report.
- Travel grants and stipends
- Compensation for travels (Primula självservice)
- Health and parental insurance for scholarship PhD students
- Prolongation (see information from each faculty on the different faculty pages under this webpage ("Contact persons at the X-faculty")).
- Application for defence/licentiate seminar
- Public display (Spikning)
- Thesis templates
- Thesis format
- Thesis publication and announcement
- Publishing thesis in Epsilon
- Contact media before your dissertation!
- Procedures of the public defence - recommendations
- Procedures of the licentiate seminar - recommendations
- Minutes of the examining committee
- Guidance for urgent problems in connection with the public defence of a thesis
- Form for applying for degree
- Degree conferment ceremony
Patent and commercialisation of research results
Free assistance with questions related to cooperation with industry, patents, contracts, business law and financing: SLU Holding
- Advice and support for contract management, guidelines on scientific misconduct etc: Legal affairs
- The use of animals in research and education at SLU
- Ethical review - animals: Swedish Board of Agriculture
- Ethical review - humans: Central Ethical Review Board
- Scientific misconduct and plagiarism: SLU's guidelines on scientific misconduct
- CODEX - rules and guidelines for research