Information for doctoral students and supervisors
This doctoral education portal lists links to webpages with information for doctoral students, supervisors or other staff working with doctoral education at SLU. The information is collected partly from different parts of the SLU staff web, but also to other webpages.
You can also find general information about doctoral education at SLU at the staff web.
Guidelines and objectives
Doctoral education at SLU is regulated by Swedish law, and also by guidelines decided by the SLU Vice-Chancellor. SLU guidelines, degree outcomes, and forms connected to doctoral education.
Admission of a new doctoral student
- Information about announcement and admission of doctoral students at SLU. All admissions, including those not advertised, must be preceded by the same application process.
- Information from the division of Human Resources about international employees/Visiting Researchers
Introduction of new doctoral student
- Introduction of new doctoral students at SLU (recommendations to the departments).
- Practical information and advice for living and working in Sweden and at SLU.
- New as doctoral student?
Economy and employment
- Forms of financial support for doctoral students are described at the web page "Recruitment and admission"
- Travel grants and stipends for doctoral students
- You can get economic compensation for travels (Primula självservice)
- Health and parental insurance for scholarship PhD students
- Prolongation for doctoral students (see information from each faculty on the different faculty pages under this webpage ("Contact persons at the X-faculty")).
Doctoral education - content and prerequisites
- Doctoral programme - content and prerequisites
- Regulations, forms and checklists
- Doctoral education subjects and general study plans
- Doctoral student courses
- Research schools
- The ISP-portal (to be used for all new doctoral students and annual follow ups of ISPs)
- Individual study plan (ISP) 2017 (older version)
- Doctoral student excerpt: performed courses, activity etc. (only in Swedish)
Advice and support
- PhD student councils - see their PhD student Handbook
- Practical information and advice for living and working in Sweden and at SLU
- Information from the Swedish Council for Higher Education about doctoral education
- PhD student commissoner (DO)
- Contact persons at the faculties
- Criteria for residence permit - Swedish Migration Agency
- N.B.: The doctoral student can't apply for residence permit before the the faculty board has decided to admit him/her
- Language support - Offers support in written and oral presentation, both drop-in and individual tutorials
- Guidance with designing experiments and statistical analyses- Centre for Statistics (Statistics@SLU)
- Guidance with designing experiments and statistical analyses - Unit for applied statistics and matemathics
Rights and obligations in doctoral education
Supervision - education and qualification
Joint and double degrees
Preparing and planning educational cooperation intended to result in a joint degree is a complex process that often takes a long time.
Educational cooperation aiming at a joint degree must be regulated by a written agreement. Both the Higher Education Ordinance and SLU's own guidelines stipulate special requirements that must be fulfilled.
About joint degrees
Guidelines for joint and double degrees - policy and rules that apply when two or more universities wish to set up a doctoral programme aiming at a joint degree.
About double degrees
Educational cooperation may also lead to a double degree.
Information on travel grants for international cooperation is available from the Grants office.
Publishing and communication
- Information on the use of animals in research and education at SLU
- Information on ethical approval for experiment on animals on the web page of the Swedish Board of Agriculture (in Swedish)
- Information on application for ethical approval of experiments involving humans subjects on the web page of the Swedish Ethical Review Authority
- The SLU guidelines on research misconduct
- Avoid cheating and plagiarism in education
- Codex rules and guidelines for research - information at the web page of Uppsala University