A policy brief contains politically neutral recommendations on a topic, aimed at decision-makers and compiled by knowledgeable researchers and packaged in an easily accessible format.
For advanced Indesign users
The Indesign templates are in Swedish and are mainly intended for advanced users familiar with the software. To use the templates, you need to have the latest version of Adobe Indesign.
For those unfamiliar with Indesign, the Layout and Print Services Unit can help produce a customised poster.
The poster template is available in A4.
The template has been checked for accessibility and can be used for both printed and digital material.
What is a policy brief?
- Policy briefs present scientifically substantiated recommendations on policy-relevant issues important to societal development. A policy brief is not a fact sheet (it contains recommendations), but neither is it an op-ed (it does not contain personal opinions).
- Decision-makers at all levels appreciate both the short format and the fact that conclusions have already been drawn based on current research.
- Policy briefs are easily accessible and highlight research findings presented in longer reports and scientific articles.
- 4 A4 pages, created using the template.
- The title should be short, concise, reflect the subject and call for action.
- The preamble should summarise the content, 300–400 characters including spaces.
- The policy brief usually contains 3-5 recommendations, but there may be more. They are based on the current situation and can be updated in a later edition. Several different decisions can be proposed. About 1000 characters including spaces.
- The main text begins with a brief introduction to the subject at a popular-science level. This is followed by sections where each of the recommendations is explained in more detail. About 10,000 characters including spaces.
- The reference list is important to show that the recommendations are scientifically sound.
- The policy brief contains a list of the researchers behind the content and contact information for at least one of them, as well as for the department/division they belong to.
- Images, and possibly information graphics, should reflect the content and be visually appealing.