Use the checklist below to put your text to the test.
The checklist can be used on most text types.
- I know who my intended reader is and what the purpose of the text is.
- I include only the information the reader needs.
- I start with the most important information at all levels - document, paragraph and sentence level.
- The heading summarises the content and attracts interest.
- I use plenty of informative subheadings.
- The paragraphs are not too long.
- I vary the sentence length.
- I avoid unnecessary nouns ('evaluate' is better than 'conduct an evaluation').
- I explain any acronyms and abbreviations that are used.
- I explain specialist terminology that may not be clear to all users.
- I have proofread the text.
- A colleague or other reviser has checked the text.