The council for PhD education (Fur) deals with strategic issues concerning the doctoral education at SLU.
Here are the dates for the coming Fur meetings.
15 September, 10.00-16.00 (IRL Ultuna)
15 December, 09.00-12.00 (Zoom)
|Åsa Lankinen||LTV Faculty|
|Petra Fransson||NJ Faculty|
|Göran Spong||S Faculty|
|Lena Lidfors||VH Faculty|
|Sbatie Lama||doctoral student, LTV Faculty|
|Tove Ortman||doctoral student, NJ Faculty|
|Carl Lehto||doctoral student, S Faculty|
|Anja Pedersen||doctoral student, VH Faculty|
Members with the right to attend
|Monika Appel||Doctoral student ombudsman|
|Carl Vigren||SLUSS DN|
Director of Studies, NJ Faculty
|Robert Glinwood||Director of Studies, NJ Faculty|
Åsa Klintborg Ahlklo
|Director of Studies, LTV Faculty
Director of Studies, LTV Faculty
|Carl-Gustaf Thulin||Director of Studies, VH Faculty|
Fur is composed of the vice-chancellor or a member appointed by the vicechancellor (chair), a member or deputy of the faculty board or a vice-dean from each faculty, and four members appointed by Sluss. The composition and duties are goverened by the vice-chancellors delegation of authority.
The faculty members are appointed by the vice-chancellor following a proposal from the deans, for a period of three years, and take up their positions no later than three months after the newly elected faculty boards are established. Each faculty member must also have a personal deputy who is appointed by the vice-chancellor following proposals from the deans. The deputies, who are summoned if the ordinary member is prevented from attending, should be members or deputies of a faculty board. A vice-chancellor decision from 20 April 2022 shows the deputies for each faculty member (in Swedish).
The doctoral student representatives are appointed by Sluss.
The faculties’ directors of studies for doctoral education are entitled to attend and speak at Fur meetings.
The duties of Fur are:
- to be a body for the university and the faculties tasked with handling general strategic issues intended to support, coordinate, stimulate and develop doctoral education;
- to help develop the quality of doctoral education from both a national and an international perspective, as well as to improve cooperation for the efficient use of resources within doctoral education;
- to draft proposals for guidelines, policy documents and action plans for doctoral education for the decision of the vice-chancellor;
- to initiate the identification and analysis of student welfare problems within doctoral education and to evaluate measures implemented with regard to doctoral student welfare problems;
- to issue opinions on a faculty’s proposed doctoral education subjects and report its position to the vice-chancellor;
- to issue opinions on topics related to doctoral education or, where appropriate, draft proposals for decisions to be taken by the university board or the vice-chancellor;
- to submit proposals to the vice-chancellor on the distribution of funds allocated to Fur;
- to be responsible, within the framework of the funds allocated to Fur, for SLU’s offering of interfaculty third-cycle courses, including the general basic courses and Nova courses, as well as for training supervisors at the university;
- to submit proposals to the vice-chancellor on a model for the allocation of funds to and criteria for SLU’s graduate schools;
- to advise its chair on decisions relating to the Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae series, where SLU theses are published;
- to appoint its own deputy chair;
- to grant additional persons the right to atend and speak at Fur meetings, as required, and
- to meet at least once per semester.