New research projects funded by SLU Aquaculture
Four new aquaculture research projects granted by SLU Aquaculture will start during 2020! The projects cover areas such as optimisation of aquaponics systems, analysis of biostimulants in aquaculture wastes, and farming of wild-caught perch at the Swedish Baltic Sea coast.
800 000 SEK to new aquaculture research at SLU
In total, about 800 000 SEK will be distributed to 4 new projects during 2020. Altogether, there are nine ongoing projects at SLU with financial support from SLU Aquaculture:
- Screening for microbial biostimulants in aquaculture - a tool for resilient aquaponic systems,
- Farming of wild-caught perch with an insect-based feed,
- Biostimulants in aqua wastes – improving the analytical methods,
- Welfare, ethics and feeding for farming and conditioning of wild fish,
- Feasibility and potential for farming and conditioning of wild fish fed with by-catches in Sweden,
- LIVEFLY2fish - whole live black soldier fly in rainbow trout diets,
- Aquaponic cultivation in the shadow of fish feed sources,
- Enhancing the national breeding programs of Arctic charr and rainbow trout in Sweden with genotyping by sequencing,
- Germ-free Artemia test system, an in vivo toolbox for aquaculture and cross-disciplinary research.