I am always open to colloboration ideas and I also have a number of data sets and topics suitable for collaboration and or student and graduate research (both desk and field based), including on:
- Elasmobranch Sound
- Acoustic Telemetry - large data sets from MPAs in Australia.
- Baited Remote Underwater Video - large data sets from MPAs in Australia.
- AI - Detection and classification of protected species bycatch in Swedish small-scale fisheries e..g. https://my.ai.se/resources/549
Get in touch if you want to discuss!
Muhammad Abdullah and Feroz Basheer: Master’s Thesis in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
Thesis title: “Detection and Classification of Protected Species Bycaught in Swedish small-scale fisheries: Object Detection and Classification using Applied Machine Learning in a Federated Framework (2022)”. Chalmers University, AI Sweden and SLU Aqua.
Kye Adams. Thesis Title: Adams, K. R. (2016). Quantifying movement and abundance patterns of the incidentally caught Eastern Fiddler Ray, Trygonorrhina fasciata (Batoidea): implications for notake marine reserves. Honours Thesis, University of Wollongong, Australia.
Ellen Wulff (2021). “Land based fish farming: an environmentally friendly way to produce fish?”. Undergraduate Thesis BI1254. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Zoé Marina Häberle (2021). Electronic monitoring systems in fisheries: a comparison between two camera systems and an onboard observer in a small-scale fishery. Undergraduate final thesis (Swedish language). Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Aimee Bullock (2013). “Contrasting marine invertebrate scavenging guilds on unconsolidated sediments across a depth gradient: An assessment with BRUVS”. Marine science international internship (1 year), University of Wollongong and Liverpool John Moores University.
Recent publication highlights:
- Lennox RJ, Whoriskey FG,...Fetterplace LC...et al. (2023). Globally coordinated acoustic aquatic animal tracking reveals unexpected, ecologically important movements across oceans, lakes, and rivers. Ecography 00:00-00.
- Fetterplace LC, Esteban JJD, Pini-Fitzsimmons J, Gaskell J, Wueringer BE (2022). Evidence of sound production in wild stingrays. Ecology. Ecology 103(11): e3812. https://doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3812
- Gibbs L, Fetterplace LC, Rees MJ & Hanich Q (2020). Determining the effects and effectiveness of shark hazard management: The Shark Meshing (Bather Protection) Program, NSW, Australia. People and Nature.
- Fetterplace LC, Turnbull JW, Knott NA & Hardy NA (2018). The devil in the deep: expanding the known habitat of a rare and protected fish. European Journal of Ecology. 4(1), 22-29. doi: https://doi.org/10.2478/eje-2018-0003 Open Access.
- Lédée JI, Heupel MR, Taylor MD,…Fetterplace LC et al. (2021). Continental-scale acoustic telemetry and network analysis reveal new insights into stock structure. Fish and Fisheries.
- Adams KR, Fetterplace LC, Davis AR, Taylor MD and Knott NA (2018). Sharks, rays and abortion: The prevalence of capture-induced parturition in elasmobranchs. Biological Conservation 217: 11-27.
Citizen Science projects I am invovled with include:
If you have fish observations you need IDs for or you enjoy identifying fish definitely get involved in these projects!