I have a background in environmental engineering with a focus on sanitation and wastewater management. My PhD studied planning and decision-making processes for sanitation systems, primarily in West Africa. Since then, I have continued research related to sanitation and planning, with an increasing focus on resource recovery. I work with concepts of sustainability, life-cycle thinking, participation, serious gaming and decision-support frameworks to better understand and shape planning processes.
I am responsible for the course "Selection of water and sanitation systems" (in Swedish).
I am currently involved in the following research projects:
Co-supervisor for PhD students
- Chea Eliyan: Resources Recycling and Recovery for Sustainable Faecal Sludge Management Alternatives in Peri-Urban of Phnom Penh, Cambodia (on-going)
- Claudia Cossio Grageda: A Journey towards Sustainable Small Wastewater Treatment Systems in Low and Lower–Middle Income Countries, Chalmers University of Technology (2020)
- Ida Helgegren: Understanding the Roles of Stakeholders in the Water and Sanitation Sector- Implementation and Operation of Water Supply and Sanitation Systems in the Kanata metropolitan region, Bolivia, Chalmers University of Technology (2020)
Supervision of MSc students
- Johanna Burström (2020): Sustainability assessment of potential wastewater
treatment techniques in Tupiza, Bolivia
- Ottilia Werkmäster (2020): Avvattning av slam med geotub vid Lövsta avloppsreningsverk - en fallstudie
- Malin Smith (2020): Multi-criteria analysis of sanitation services in El Alto, Bolivia
- Moustafa Bayoumi (2019): Making the case for leveraging sanitation and wastewater in climate action.
- Elina Persson & Therese Hågerup (2018): Shit Matters! Assessing sociocultural barriers and opportunities for upscaling adoption of human faeces derived fertilizers in central Uganda. Lund University
- Emma Lindberg & Anna Rost (2018): Treatment of faecal sludge from pit latrines and septic tanks using lime and urea Pathogen die-off with respect to time of storage. Luleå University of Technology
- Katja Norlin & Isabelle Wahlund (2017): Communication for acceptance of nutrient recycling from wastewater systems – a case study of the transition area Munga. KTH
- Maria Nilsson (2014): Socio-technical evaluation of urine diversion in Linköping and Norrköping, Chalmers University of Technology
- Saga Perron (2012): Microbial regrowth in Drinking Water Treated with Gravity-Driven Ultrafiltration - A Field Study in Kenya, Uppsala University
- Melissa Nangle (2007): Sustainable low cost wastewater technology for poor coastal communities: a case study of White Horses, Pamphret & Botany Bay, Jamaica, KTH
Total 56 publication, h-index 13
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
Cossio C, McConville JR, Mattsson A, Mercado A, & Norrman J. (2020). EVAS - a practical tool to assess the sustainability of small wastewater treatment systems in low and lower-middle-income countries. Science of the Total Environment, 746, DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.140938.
Cossio C, Norrman J, McConville J, Mercado A, & Rauch S. (2020). Indicators for sustainability assessment of small-scale wastewater treatment plants in low and lower-middle income countries. Environmental and Sustainablity Indicators, 6, DOI:10.1016/j.indic.2020.100028.
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Nordin AC, Jönsson H and Niwagaba CB. (2020). Structured Approach for Comparison of Treatment Options for Nutrient-recovery from Fecal Sludge. Frontiers in Environmental Science, DOI: 10.3389/fenvs.2020.00036.
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Maiteki JM, and Niwagaba CB. (2019). Infrastructure investments and operating costs for fecal sludge and sewage treatment systems in Kampala, Uganda. Urban Water Journal, 16(8), 584-593. DOI: 10.1080/1573062X.2019.1700290
Cossio C, Perez-Mercado LF, Norrman J, Dalahmeh S, Vinnerås B, Mercado A, & McConville J. (2019) Impact of treatment plant management on human health and ecological risks from wastewater irrigation in developing countries – case studies from Cochabamba, Bolivia, International Journal of Environmental Health Research, DOI: 10.1080/09603123.2019.1657075
Helgegren I, McConville J, Landaeta G, and Rauch S. (2019). Importance of Internal Factors for Community-Managed Water and Wastewater Systems in Cochabamba, Bolivia. International Journal of Water Resources Development: DOI:10.1080/07900627.2019.1616536.
Lennartsson M, Mcconville J, Kvarnström E, Hagman M, and Kjerstadius H. (2019). Investments in Innovative Urban Sanitation – Decision-Making Processes in Sweden. Water Alternatives 12 (2): 588–608.
Simha P, Lalander C, Ramanathan A, Vijayalakshmi C, McConville JR, Vinnerås B & Ganesapillai M. (2018). What do consumers think about recycling human urine as fertiliser? Perceptions and attitudes of a university community in South India. Water Research, 143, 527-538.
Helgegren I, Rauch S, Cossio C, Landaeta G. & McConville J. (2018). Importance of triggers and veto-barriers for the implementation of sanitation in informal peri-urban settlements – the case of Cochabamba, Bolivia. PLoS ONE 13(4): e0193613. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0193613.
Drangert,J-O.,Tonderski, K., McConville, J. (2018) Extending the EU waste hierarchy to guide nutrient-effective urban sanitation towards global food security - opportunities for phosphorus recovery. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, section Waste Management in Agroecosystems, 2 (3).
Ramôa AR, McConville J, Lüthi C, & Matos JS. (2018) Use of process guides for comprehensive urban sanitation technology decision-making: practice versus theory. Water Policy, 20(1), 158-174.
Cossio, C, McConville, J., Rauch, S., Wilén, BM., Dalahmeh, S., Mercado, A., & Romero AM. (2018). Wastewater management in small towns – Understanding the failure of small treatment plants in Bolivia. Environmental Technology, 39(11), 1393-1403.
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Jönsson H, Kärrman, E. & Johansson, M. (2017) Is the Swedish wastewater sector ready for a transition to source separation? Desalination and Water Treatment, DOI: 10.5004/dwt.2017.20881.
McConville JR, Kvarnström E, Jönsson H, Kärrman, E. & Johansson, M. (2017) Source Separation: Challenges & Opportunities for Transition in the Swedish Wastewater Sector. Resources Conservation and. Recycling, 120:144–156.
McConville, J.R., Rauch, S., Helgegren, I. & Kain, J-H. (2017) Using Role-playing Games to Broaden Engineering Education. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 18(4), pp. 594-607.
Ramôa, A., Lüthi, C., McConville, J. & Matos, J. (2016). Urban sanitation technology decision-making in developing countries: a critical analysis of process guides. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, ISSN: 1946-3138.
McConville, J.R., Tidåker, P., Drangert, J-O., Neset, T.S., Rauch, S., Stride, I., Tonderski, K.S. (2015) Closing the food loop – guidelines and criteria for improving nutrient management. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy, 11(2).
McConville, J., Kunzle, R., Messmer, U., Udert, K. M., & Larsen, T .A. (2014) Decision Support for Redesigning Wastewater Treatment Technologies. Environmental Science & Technology, 48(20), 12238-12246.
McConville, J., Kain, J.H., Kvarnström, E. & Ulrich, L. (2014) Participation in Sanitation Planning in Burkina Faso: Theory and Practice. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 4(2), 304-312.
McConville, J., Kain, J., Kvarnström, E. & Renman, G. (2011) Bridging sanitation engineering and planning: theory and practice in Burkina Faso. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 1(3), 205-212.
Kvarnström, E., McConville, J., Bracken, P., Johansson, M. & Fogde, M. (2011) The Sanitation Ladder – a Need for a Revamp? Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 1(1), 3-12.
Luethi, C., McConville, J., & Kvarnström, E. (2010) Community-based approaches for addressing the urban sanitation challenge. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, 1(1-2), 49-63.
McConville, J.R. & Mihelcic, J.R. (2007). Adapting Life Cycle Thinking Tools to Evaluate Project Sustainability in International Water and Sanitation Development Work. Environmental Engineering Science, 24 (7), 937-948.
Andersson, K., Rosemarin, A., Lamizana, B., Kvarnström, E., McConville, J., Seidu, R., Dickin, S. and Trimmer, C. (2016). Sanitation, Wastewater Management and Sustainability: from Waste Disposal to Resource Recovery. Nairobi and Stockholm: United Nations Environment Programme and Stockholm Environment Institute.
Rosemarin, A., McConville, J., Flores, A., & Qiang, Z. (2012) The Challenges of Urban Ecological Sanitation: Lessons from the Erdos Eco-Town Project. Practical Action Publishing: Warwickshire, UK.
McConville, J. (2010): Unpacking Sanitation Planning – Comparing Theory and Practice. PhD Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Lüthi, C., Panasar, A., Schütze, T., Norström, A., McConville, J., Parkinson, J., Saywell, D., & Ingle, R. (2010). Sustainable Sanitation in Cities: A Framework for Action. Papiroz Publishing House: Rijswiik, The Netherlands.