Dr. Daniel Basalirwa holds a PhD in Agriculture from Tottori University, in Japan. His research interests are mainly in Agroecology, Soil Carbon & Nitrogen cycling, Soil Fertility Management, and plant nutrition; including the utilization of biochar in different cropping systems to simultaneously enhance crop productivity, mitigate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and increase resilience to the impacts of climate change. He conducts research to elucidate the mechanisms behind the functions of biochar by studying its impact on the physical, chemical and biological characteristics of different soils. Currently, he is a Post-doctoral researcher in the BICEPS (Biochar Integration in Small-Holder Cropping Systems–Economy, Food Product Value Chains, Climate Change Resilience, Soil Fertility) project at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), conducting research on Nitrogen and Biochar interactions in soils under maize cropping systems in Kenya and South Africa.
- Wacal, C., Basalirwa, D., Okello-Anyanga, W., Murongo, M.F., Namirembe, C., Malingumu, R., 2021. Analysis of sesame seed production and export trends; challenges and strategies towards increasing production in Uganda. OCL 28, 4. Doi: 10.1051/ocl/2020073.
- Basalirwa, D., Sudo, S., Wacal, C., Namirembe, C., Sasagawa, D., Yamamoto, S., Masunaga, T., Nishihara, E., 2020. Effect of activated carbon on greenhouse gas emissions, seed yield, soil chemical properties and isoflavone content of soybean genotypes with varying nodulation capacities under sandy soil conditions. Rhizosphere 14, 100202. doi: 10.1016/j.rhisph.2020.100202.
- Basalirwa, D., Sudo, S., Wacal, C., Akae, F., Oo A.Z., Koyama, S., Sasagawa, D., Yamamoto, S., Masunaga, T., Nishihara, E., 2020. Assessment of crop residue and palm shell biochar incorporation on greenhouse gas emissions during the fallow and crop growing seasons of broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica). Soil and Tillage Research 196, 104435. doi:10.1016/j.still.2019.104435.
- Basalirwa, D., Sudo, S., Wacal, C., Oo A.Z., Sasagawa, D., Yamamoto, S., Masunaga, T., Nishihara, E., 2020. Impact of fresh and aged palm shell biochar on N2O emissions, soil properties, nutrient content and yield of Komatsuna (Brassica rapa var. perviridis) under sandy soil conditions. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 66 (2), 328–343. doi:10.1080/00380768.2019.1705737.
- Oo, A.Z., Win, K.T., Basalirwa, D., Gonai, T., Sudo, S., 2020. Autumn Leaf Litter and Its Biochar Amendment on Soil Nitrous Oxide Emission, Plant Growth, and Nutrient Uptake of Komatsuna and Spinach Grown in Potted Soils. Journal of Agricultural Science 12 (2), 26. doi:10.5539/jas.v12n2p26.
- Wacal, C., Ogata, N., Basalirwa, D., Handa, T., Sasagawa, D., Acidri, R., Ishigaki, T., Kato, M., Masunaga, T., Yamamoto, S., Nishihara, E., 2019. Growth, Seed Yield, Mineral Nutrients and Soil Properties of Sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) as Influenced by Biochar Addition on Upland Field Converted from Paddy. Agronomy 9, 55. doi: 10.3390/agronomy9020055.
- Wacal, C., Ogata, N., Sasagawa, D., Handa, T., Basalirwa, D., Acidri, R., Ishigaki, T., Yamamoto, S., Nishihara, E., 2019. Seed yield, crude protein and mineral nutrient contents of sesame during a two-year continuous cropping on upland field converted from a paddy. Field Crops Research 240, 125–133. doi:10.1016/j.fcr.2019.06.004.
- Nishihara, E., Fukuda, S., Basalirwa, D., Chiba, Y., Sasagawa, D., 2019. Effects of different sowing time on emergence rate, growth and yield of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) cultivated twice a year. Sand Dune Research 65, 45–55.
Postdoctor at the
Department of Soil and Environment; Biogeochemistry of Forest Soils
750 07 Uppsala
Lennart Hjelms väg 9, Uppsala