Important dates for phasing out and archiving of Fronter
During the last year, both Fronter and Canvas have been available to use for teachers' courses to enable a smoother transition to Canvas.
Later this semester, we will deactivate the functionality that makes it possible to create new Fronter rooms. If you haven’t already started using Canvas instead, now is the time to do so.
Once Fronter is closed, you will have plenty of time to archive your content before the system is retired.
- As of 25 March 2019, it will no longer be possible to create new rooms in Fronter. Instead, use Canvas – order rooms by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As of 1 April 2019, you can start archiving your Fronter rooms.
- On 20 December 2019, all of Fronter will be closed. By then, all archiving must be done. Any material that hasn’t been archived will be deleted when Fronter closes.
This is what you need to do before Fronter is closed (1 April – 20 December 2019)
Archive content according to the SLU guidelines
Some content in Fronter will need to be archived in accordance with the SLU guidelines for archiving. This applies to all course rooms. What you have already archived does not need to be archived again.
Read more about archiving:
Saving your own material
You will need to go through your own content in Fronter and save any material you want to keep or reuse in Canvas.
- Read the instruction on how to export content in Fronter course rooms.
Migrating question databases to Canvas
If you want to reuse your Fronter questions in Canvas, the project group can help. Email your migration request to email@example.com.
Document students who have not received a pass grade
You need to document any students who have not received a pass grade on a course, as they may return later to complete the course. This applies to all course rooms were you have students who have not a pass grade. You can do this by following the guide below.
Rename your course room
Once you have done the above steps, rename your course room. In this way, we know that it is ready to be closed. Rename the course room by adding "archived" at the beginning of the course room name.
Here's how to rename your course room:
- Go to rooms.
- In the drop-down menu in the upper right corner, select edit properties.
- Give the room the new name.
Ordering course rooms in Canvas
You order a Canvas room by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
State that you need a Canvas room and enclose the following information:
- course code
- application code
- course title
- who needs administrator access to the course (teachers etc.)
You can find this information on the search page for courses.
There are regular Canvas trainings and workshops where you can get help on how to use the functions and your rooms in Canvas, as well as help on archiving Fronter content. Don’t miss this opportunity!
You will find the dates in the calendar on the Canvas web page.
You can also email email@example.com for Canvas support.