Last changed: 19 June 2023

SPV, the National Government Employee Pensions Board, manages the pensions of government employees. Read more about the different parts of your pension below.

What does your pension consist of?

  • National retirement pension
  • Government employee pension

National retirement pension

Your national retirement pension is handled by Pensionsmyndigheten, the Swedish Pensions Agency (the orange envelope). It consists of income pension and premium pension.

The earlier pension system consisted of a supplementary pension and a state pension. If you were born between 1938 and 1953, you will receive part of your pension based on the earlier system and another part based on the new pension system. How much you receive from each system depends on the year you were born.

Income pension

If you were born in 1954 or later, you are only affected by the new pension system, where your income decides how large your pension will be.

Premium pension

Part of your salary (2.5%) is put aside for your premium pension which is a part of the new pension system. The money is placed in a mutual fund of your own choosing. The size of the premium pension depends on the investment returns on your securities fund.

Government employee pension according to PA 03

(PA 91 applies to those born in 1942 and earlier.)

In order to receive your government employee pension, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You need to work at least 20% (to receive defined benefit retirement pension)
  • You must be born in 1943 or later
  • Defined benefit retirement pension
  • ‘Kåpan’ ­– Complementary occupational pension
  • Individual retirement pension

Survivors’ pension

If you pass away during your time as a government employee, your surviving relatives will receive a time-limited survivors’ pension.

Sickness pension

If you receive sickness compensation or activity compensation, you are eligible for government sickness pension. If you receive a decision regarding sickness compensation or activity compensation you must send a copy of the decision to the Payroll Unit.

SPV (the National Government Employee Pensions Board) handles all government employee pensions.