Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (Uppsala, SWD) 2014 – 2020
- PhD Student in Energy and Technology developing sanitation systems that optimize the retention of nutrients from human excreta to be safely used as fertilizer (Supervisor: Dr. Björn Vinnerås)
McGill University (Montreal, Qc) Winter 2011 – October 2013
- Master’s Degree in Bioresource Engineering analyzing the use of human urine as fertilizer through field experiments in northern India (Supervisor: Professor Mark Lefsrud)
McGill University (Montreal, Qc) Fall 2006 – May 2010
- Bachelor Degree in Bioresource Engineering in the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, MacDonald Campus
Urinal Design Contest (Switzerland) Fall 2013
- Joint winners in designing a urinal for emergency situations
Shastri-Institute Master’s Research Fellowship Award (Canada) Winter 2011
- Grant to research the impacts of using human urine as a fertilizer in India
Gold Key Award (Montreal, Qc) Winter 2010
- Presented for my leadership and excellence in development of extra-curricular activities for the students and faculty at McGill University
Other awards: Eco-Logical Competition (1st place, 2010); Quebec Engineering Competition (3rd place, 2010); Gunlogson Environmental Design Competition (1st place, 2009); Undergraduate Thesis Award (1st place, 2009)
Senecal, J., Nordin, A.C., Decrey, L., Kohn, T. and Vinnerås, B. 2022. Fate of Parasites and Viruses in Calcium Hydroxide-Treated Urine in Relation to Temperature and Moisture Content. Frontiers in Environmental Science 10.
Senecal, J., Nordin, A. & Vinnerås, B. 2020. Fate of Ascaris at various pH, temperature and moisture levels. Journal of Water and Health, 18, 375–382.
Senecal, J. 2020. Safe Nutrient Recovery from Human Urine - System and Hygiene Evaluation of Alkaline Urine Dehydration. Doctoral Thesis. Department of Energy and Technology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Senecal, J., Nordin, A., Simha, P. & Vinnerås, B. 2018. Hygiene aspect of treating human urine by alkaline dehydration. Water research, 144, 474-481.
Simha, P., Senecal, J., Nordin, A., Lalander, C. & Vinnerås, B. 2018. Alkaline dehydration of anion–exchanged human urine: Volume reduction, nutrient recovery and process optimisation. Water Research, 142, 325-336.
Senecal, J. 2017. Urea stabilisation and dehydration for urine-diverting toilets: system and hygiene evaluation. Licentiate Thesis. Department of Energy and Technology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Senecal, J., Vinnerås, B. 2017. Urea stabilisation and concentration for urine-diverting dry toilets: Urine dehydration in ash. Science of The Total Environment, 586, 650–657.
Lalander, C., Senecal, J., Gros Calvo, M., Ahrens, L., Josefsson, S., Wiberg, K., Vinnerås, B. 2016. Fate of pharmaceuticals and pesticides in fly larvae composting. Science of The Total Environment, 565, 279-286.
Senecal, J. 2013. Ecological sanitation: performance evaluation of human urine as a fertilizer under laboratory and field conditions. Masters Thesis. Department of Bioresource Engineering, McGill University.