2004 Ph.D., Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala, Sweden. Thesis title: Factors involved in the development of boar taint - influence of breed, age, diet and raising conditions.
Teaching at SLU
2017, 2018, 2019 Co-organizer “How to communicate science”, 2 hp
2018 Co-organizer "Advances in enzyme regulation", 5 hp https://www.slu.se/en/graduate-schools/focus-on-food-and-biomaterials/program/advances-in-enzyme-regulation/
2017 Organizer and teacher “How to write and publish scientific paper within molecular sciences” offered by the research school Focus on food biomaterials”, 5 hp
2017. Organizer and teacher “Bioactive components in feed and food”, 5 hp (lecturing “Introduction to bioactive compounds and bioactivity”, “Phase I and Phase II metabolism”, leading the seminar “Selected topics”, total 8 hours)
2016. Organizer “Multivariate statistics and experimental design in food science” 2 hp
2016. Organizer “Rheology and mechanics in Food Science” 1 hp
2014. Teacher “Analytical Methods in Biology and Nutrition” SLU
(lectures: “Introduction to UPLC”, 1 hour; “Capillary Electrophoresis”, 1 hour; “Principles of immunoassaus”, 2 hours; “Measurements of insulin in horse plasma by ELISA” laboratory work, 6 hours; “Interpretation of ELISA results” seminar, 2 hours)
2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 Organizer and teacher in the postgraduate course “Scientific writing within food science” offered by the research school Food in Focus at SLU, 5 hp
2011 Teacher in the postgraduate course “Bioactive components in feed and food”. Lecture “Metabolism Phase I, CYP450, regulation” 2 hours.
2011 Organizer and teacher in the postgraduate course “Interactions between food/ feed components and hepatic metabolism II (practical applications)” offered by the research school Food in Focus at SLU, 3 hp. This course involves individual project work including work in laboratory on a given project (under my supervision), discussions, data interpretation and presentation.
2010 Organizer and teacher in the postgraduate course “Interactions between food/ feed components and hepatic metabolism” offered by the research school Food in Focus at SLU, 5 hp (total lecturing 12 hours). The course provided an overview on the most relevant mechanisms of actions, function and regulations of hepatic enzymes in livestock animals and fish.
2010, 2012 Organizer and teacher in the postgraduate course “Analytical Methods in Biology and Nutrition” SLU (2 lectures, “Introduction to UPLC”, 1 hour; “Capillary Electrophoresis”, 1 hour)
2008 Teacher in the postgraduate course “Practical HPLC for food scientists and biologists” offered at our department (lecture “Application of UPLC” 1 hour)
2018 Administrator and teacher in the undergraduate course “Landbrukets livsmedelprodukter” in SWEDISH (lectures “Plant-based foods”, 6 hours)
2016, 2017, 2018. Administrator and teacher in the undergraduate course “Introduction course – Agronomy-food science”, (Lectures “Introduction to food chemistry”, various seminars) In SWEDISH
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. Teacher in the undergraduate course “Food Chemistry” (lectures “Water in foods” 2 hours, “Minerals”, 2 hours; lecture “Immunoassays” 2 hours; seminar “Enzymes in food” 2 hours)
2016, 2017, 2018. Teacher in the course “Human nutrition” (lectures “Bone health” and “Minerals in human nutrition”)
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. Teacher in the course “Our foods” (Meat science) 7.5 hp. In SWEDISH
2015, 2016, 2017. Teacher in the undergraduate course “Animal Food Science” offered at our department (face-to-face lectures “Meat history”, 1 hour, “Biochemistry of muscle”, 1 hour, “Conversion of muscle to meat”, 1 hour, “Tenderization of meat” 1 hour, web-based lectures “Endocrinology of meat-producing animals”, 1 hour, “Boar taint and meat quality”, 1 hour). Responsible for seminar “Boar taint”
2013, 2014. Responsible for part “Meat science” and teacher in the undergraduate course “Animal Food Science” offered at our department (face-to-face lectures “Meat history”, 1 hour, “Biochemistry of meat”, 1 hour (2014), “Conversion of muscle to meat”, 1 hour, “Tenderization of meat” 1 hour, web-based lectures “Endocrinology of meat-producing animals”, 1 hour, “Boar taint and meat quality”, 1 hour). Responsible for seminars and student individual work
2013 Teacher in the undergraduate course “Food Chemistry” (lecture “Minerals”, 2 hours)
2010, 2011, 2012 Organizer and teacher in the undergraduate course “Självständigt arbete inom Magisterprogrammet för Livsmedelstillsyn”, 15 hp In SWEDISH
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Organizer and teacher in the course “Product development” (administration, developing and teaching), 7.5 hp. This course was a part of a distance master program “Food– innovation and market”
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Teacher in the undergraduate course “Animal Food Science” offered at our department (lectures “Boar taint and meat quality”, 2008-2012; “Immunocastration in livestock animals”, 2011; “Proteomics as a tool to study meat quality”, 2012)
2014-2017. Co-responsibility for the development and implementation of Master programs “Food safety and the production and marketing of TRADitional food PROducts in Russia and Kazakhstan” (financed by TEMPUS)
2013-2015. Sole responsibility on the behalf of SLU of the development and implementation of two BSc programs; Food Science and Food Technology at Indonesia International Institute for Life Sciences (I3L).
Invited teaching outside of SLU (financed by the host university)
2018 (September). Lecturing at Nanjing Agricultural University (Lecture: Biochemistry of boar taint)
2018 (April). Lecturing at Kostanay State University, Kazakhstan. 8 hours course “Introduction to food science”
2017 (October). Online lecturing at The Vologda State Milk Academy (Lecture: Boar taint and solutions – modern perspectives) (total 2 hours)
2017 (April). Lecturing at Mogilev State University of Food Technologies, Belorus. (Lectures: History of food and role of innovations in food evolution; Immunocastration as an innovation to improve animal welfare;Food-drug interactions). (total 3 hours)
2016 (November). Lecturing within master programme “Functional and specialized food products of plant origin” within specialty “Agronomy”. Kostanay state university A. Baitursynov, Kazakhstan (total 32 hours).
2015 (November). Lecturing within master program “"Innovative production technologies of livestock products". Kostanay state university A. Baitursynov, Kazakhstan (total 32 hours).
2015 (November). Master class for teachers and researchers "Publication of scientific article in international scientific Scopus-indexed journals". Kostanay state university A. Baitursynov, Kazakhstan (total 4 hours).
2014 (July). Course for undergraduate students (including syllabus development, course material preparation, lecturing and leading of seminars) “Principles of immunoassays”, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China (total 8 hours)
2014 (May). Two-days workshop “Introduction to food science and food technology”, Indonesia International Institute for Life Sciences, Jakarta, Indonesia (total 16 hours)
My research is mainly focused on several areas:
- Factors regulating boar taint;
- Cytochrome P450: activity and regulation in various species. Implication for food.
- Food and health
International collaboration within research
Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, / Prof. E. Ropstad
Nofima Marin/Gerd Marit Berge
Nofima/ J.-E. Haugen
University of South Bohemia, Ceske Budejovice, Research Institute of Fish Culture and Hydrobiology, Vodnany /Dr. V.Zlabek
University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical science, Department of Meat hygiene and technology, Brno/Dr. L. Gallas, J.Tomankova
University of Guelph; Dept Animal and Poultry Sciences /Prof. J.Squires
Key Laboratory of Agro-Product Quality and Safety, Institute of Quality Standards and Testing Technology for Agro-Products, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS), Beijing, China., /Prof Gang Chen
Aarhus University, Tjele/Prof. B. Ekstrand
University of California, Dep Animal Science, /Prof. T.Berger
The All-Russian Meat Research Institute, Moscow/Prof. I.Tchernukha
University of the West of England/Prof. O.Doran
Agricultural Institute of Slovenia, Hacquetova ulica, Ljubljana, Slovenia (Kmetijski inštitut Slovenije), Prof Čandek Potokar Marjeta
Current PhD students
From 2016. Associate supervisor for PhD student Nor Adila Mhd Omar “Dietary carbohydrate quality and low grade inflammation”, Karolinska institutet
From 2013. Associate supervisor for PhD student Sidika Sakalli, Project title “Fish and pollutants in the aquatic environment – emphasis on xenobiotic metabolism and stress”. University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice, Czech republic
Thesis completed under my main supervision
2016. Shengjie Li. Project title “Novel molecular markers for changes in meat quality” , SLU, Uppsala, Sweden. Main supervisor from the beginning to the end.
2013. Xin Li. Thesis title “Effect of single genes on meat quality, growth rate and carcass quality in Swedish beef breeds” , SLU, Uppsala, Sweden (main supervisor from 2011; from 2009-2011 - associate supervisor).
2011. Carl Brunius. Thesis title “Early immunocastration of male pigs - effects on physiology, performance and behaviour”, SLU, Uppsala, Sweden (main supervisor from 2010, when receiving a competence as associate professor) The thesis was completed within 2.5 years
Thesis completed under my deputy supervision
2014. Viktoriia Burkina. Thesis title “Pharmaceuticals in the aquatic environment and their effects in fish” University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
2012. Martin Krøyer Rasmussen. Thesis title “Regulation of cytochrome P450 in pigs with implication on boar taint” Aarhus University, Tjele, Denmark
2007. Gang Chen, Thesis title “Physiological and Biochemical Factors Responsible for Boar Taint”, SLU, Uppsala, Sweden
69. Žlábek, V., Burkina, V., Borrisser-Pairó, F., Sakalli, S., Zamaratskaia, G., 2016. Phase I metabolism of 3-methylindole by hepatic microsomes from carp (Cyprinus carpio) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Chemosphere 150: 304–310
70. Burkina V, Zlabek V, Halsne R, Ropstad E, Zamaratskaia G. 2016. In vitro effects of the citrus flavonoids diosmin, naringenin and naringin on the hepatic drug-metabolizing CYP3A enzyme in human, pig, mouse and fish. Biochemical Pharmacology 110–111, 109-116
71. Burkina V, Zamaratskaia G, Oliveira R., Fedorova G, Grabicova K, Schmidt-Posthaus H., Steinbach C., Domingues I., Golovko O, Sakalli S., Grabic R, Randak T, Zlabek Z. 2016. Sub-lethal effects and bioconcentration of the human pharmaceutical clotrimazole in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Chemosphere 159, 10-22.
72. Hajazimi E, Landberg R, Zamaratskaia G, 2016. Simultaneous determination of flavonols and phenolic acids by HPLC-CoulArray in berries common in the Nordic diet. LWT- Food Science and Technology 74, 128–134
73. Brunius C., Vidanarachchi J, Tomankova J, Lundström K., K. Andersson, Zamaratskaia G. 2016. Skatole metabolites in urine as a biological marker of pigs with enhanced hepatic metabolism. Animal 10(10):1734-40.
74. Bilić-Šobot D, Zamaratskaia G, Rasmussen M, Čandek-Potokar M., Škrlep M, Prevolnik Povše M, Škorjanc D,.2016. Chestnut wood extract in boar diet reduces intestinal skatole production, a boar taint compound. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 36:62. DOI 10.1007/s13593-016-0399-1
75. Zamaratskaia G, Rasmussen M, Škrlep M, Batorek Lukač N, Škorjanc D, Čandek-Potokar M. 2016. Tissue specific regulation of CYP3A by hydrolysable tannins in male pigs. Xenobiotica, 46(7), 591-596 DOI:10.3109/00498254.2015.1099081
76. Li S, Johansson M,Vidanarachchi J, Pickova J, Zamaratskaia G. 2016. Determination of biogenic amines in beef stored aerobically by high performance thin layer chromatography densitometry. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section A 66:4, 199-205. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09064702.2017.1315455
77. Burkina V, Rasmussen M, Pilipenko N, Zamaratskaia G. 2017. Comparison of xenobiotic-metabolising human, porcine, rodent, and piscine cytochrome P450. Toxicology 375, 10-27.
78. Nielsen SD, Bauhaus Y., Zamaratskaia G., Junqueira MA, Blaabjerg K, Petrat-Melin B., Young JF, Rasmussen MK. 2017. Constitutive expression and activity of cytochrome P450 in pigs. Research in Veterinary Science 111, 75-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2016.12.003
79. Östlund J., Zlabek V., Zamaratskaia G. 2017. In vitro inhibition of human CYP2E1 and CYP3A by quercetin and myricetin in hepatic microsomes is not gender dependent. Toxicology 381, 10–18
80. Zamaratskaia G., Li S., 2017. Proteomics in meat science - current status and future perspective. The theory and practice of meat processing 1, 18-26. DOI 10.21323/2414-438X-2017-2-1-18-26
81. Pilipenko N, Ropstad E., Halse R., Zamaratskaia G. 2017. Interactions between bioactive compounds and xenobiotica-metabolizing CYP450 in mice offspring after maternal exposure to persistent organic pollutants. BioMed Research International, vol. 2017, Article ID 8472312, 8 pages, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/8472312.
82. Wierzbicka R., Zamaratskaia G., Kamal-Eldin A., Landberg, R., 2017. Novel urinary alkylresorcinol metabolites as biomarkers of whole grain intake in free- living Swedish adults. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 61, 1700015. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201700015
83. Zamaratskaia G, Johansson D. P., Antunes Junqueira M., Deissler L., Langton M, Hellström PM, Landberg R. 2017. Impact of sourdough fermentation on appetite and postprandial metabolic responses - A randomised cross-over trial with whole grain rye crispbread. British Journal of Nutrition 118(9):686-697. doi: 10.1017/S000711451700263X
84. Sakalli S., Pilipenko N, Burkina V, Zlabek V, Zamaratskaia G. 2018. In vitro effects of diosmin, narenginin, quercetin and indole-3-carbinol on fish hepatic CYP1A1 in presence of clotrimazole and dexamethasone. Chemosphere 192, 105-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2017.10.106 (Impact Factor: 4.208)
85. Zamaratskaia G, Thøgersen R., Čandek-Potokar M, Rasmussen M. 2018. Co-treatment with indole-3-carbinol and resveratrol modify porcine CYP1A and CYP3A activities and expression. Xenobiotica 48(3): 232–240. doi: 10.1080/00498254.2017.1300708 (impact factor 1.9)
86. Giang PT, Sakalli S, Fedorova G, Khalili TS, Bakal T, Najmanova L, Grabicova K, Kolarova J, Sampels S, Zamaratskaia G, Grabic R. Randak T, Zlabek V, Burkina V. 2018. Biomarker response, health indicators, and intestinal microbiome composition in wild brown trout (Salmo trutta m. fario L.) exposed to a sewage treatment plant effluent-dominated stream. Science of the Total Environment 625, 1494–1509. (Impact Factor: 4.9)
87. Pilipenko N., Rasmussen M., Doran O, Zamaratskaia G. 2018. 7-hydroxylation of warfarin is strongly inhibited by sesamin, but not by episesamin, caffeic and ferulic acids in human hepatic microsomes. Food and chemical toxicology 113, 14-18. (Impact factor 3.778)
88. Thøgersen R., Petrat-Melin B., Zamaratskaia G., Grevsen K., Young JF, Rasmussen MK. 2018. In vitro effects of rebaudioside A, stevioside and steviol on porcine cytochrome p450 expression and activity. Food Chemistry 258, 245-253. (Impact factor 4.5 )
89. Sakalli S, Giang Pham Thai, Viktoriia Burkina, Olga Koba, Ganna Federova, Oksana Golovk, Daniel Cerveny, Sarvenaz Khalili Tilami, Sabine Sampels, Jitka Kolarova, Martin Krøyer Rasmussen, Galia Zamaratskaia, Roman Grabic, Jan Turek, Tomas Randak, Vladimir Zlabek, 2018. The effects of sewage treatment plant effluents on hepatic and intestinal biomarkers in common carp (Cyprinus carpio) Science of the Total Environment 635, 1160–1169 (IF = 4.9)
90. Burkina V, Pilipenko N, Zlabek V, Zamaratskaia G 2018. Effect of human pharmaceuticals common to aquatic environments on hepatic CYP1A and CYP3A-like activities in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): an in vitro study. Chemosphere 205, 380-386 (IF= 4.208).doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.04.080
91. Burkina, V., Sakalli, S., Zlabek, V., Zamaratskaia, G. 2018. CYP1A1 activity in rainbow trout is inhibited by the environmental pollutant p-cresol. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 62: 199-202. (IF 2.776)
92. Burkina, V., Zamaratskaia, G., Sakalli, S., Pham, T.G., Kodes, V., Grabic, R., Velisek, J., Turek, J., Kolarova, J., Zlabek, V., Randak., T. 2018. Complex effect of pollution on fish in major rivers in the Czech Republic. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 164, 92-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2018.07.109
93. Klabukova DL, Mashentseva NG, Chernukha IМ, Fedulova LV, Nikonov IN, Laptev G.Y, Iljina LА, Zamaratskaia G, Jyldyrym ЕА 2018. Molecular Genetic Approach to the Fermented Horse Meat Microflora Screening. J Translational Diagn Technol. 3(1):30-35.
94. Burkina V., Rasmussen M., Olejnichenko Y, Zamaratskaia G Porcine cytochrome P450 2A19 and 2E1. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology. doi: 10.1111/bcpt.13121
95. Balji Y., Adilbekov Z., Scheiko Y., Zhanabayeva D., Seydenova S., Ismagulova G. , Zamaratskaia G. A rapid and sensitive test to determine potassium permanganate in meat. Journal of Consumer Protection and Food Safety. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00003-018-1202-9