The Ph.D. course will be given in Uppsala 3- 28 October 2022.
The objective of the course is to give an introduction to basic probability theory and statistical inference. On completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- apply basic probability concepts and statistical principles and formulate a problem in statistical terms
- describe common statistical methods including conditions and assumptions
- select an appropriate statistical method for a given problem
- carry out a basic statistical analysis in the statistical software R
- interpret and evaluate results correctly and draw reasonable conclusions
- clearly and concisely communicate results and conclusions
The course is built on lectures and computer exercises. The main components are as follows:
- Descriptive statistics.
- Basic probability theory.
- Probability distributions.
- Statistical inference of means and proportions, one and two samples.
- Nonparametric methods.
- Analysis of frequency data.