Postgraduate course: How to read and write a scientific paper, 1 ECTS
Welcome to the post graduate course How to read and write a scientific paper, arranged by CAReNet in collaboration with SLU's graduate school for veterinary medicine and animal sciences (GS-VMAS). The course is held at SLU in Uppsala, October 16-18.
The overall objective of this course is to train students to use effective writing practices and to have a general understanding of the basic principles for critical reading and self-critical writing.
The participants will work in groups of four persons. Each group shall analyse and present one publication during the course. Additionally, one will be used as a group exam. All the participants are asked to send in a publication which might be central from their field.
After completing the course the student should be able to
- Identify what constitutes good scientific writing
- Describe the structure of an original research article and what each section typically should include (abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, conclusion)
- Critically evaluate and analyse already published research
- Identify and discuss shortcomings when critically reviewing their own scientific texts and those of peers
- Give and take constructive criticism on text coherence, structure, and clarity
- Meet journal requirements in order to get published
Admitted to a postgraduate program in animal science, biology, veterinary medicine, food science, nutrition, nursing, bioinformatics or similar subjects, or to a residency program (or other specialization programme).
Active contribution during exercises and discussions. No written exam.
Course leader is Professor Stig Larsen, email@example.com, the Norwegian University of Life Sciences and the course will take place in SLU's Centre for Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science on campus Ultuna in Uppsala.
For more information on practicalities, please contact Malin Hagberg Gustavsson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programme and registration
Later this year, registration will be accessible here as well as a detailed programme.