I work as an animal geneticist studying equine traits under selection. I am from Spain and I move to Uppsala to continue my scientific career and gain more experience with the team of Gabriella Lindgren.
I ususally supervise graduate/undergraduate students and host intership students.
My current career focuses on the study of the genetic basis that regulate behaviour and locomotion patterns critical for athletic performance. My research involves using traditional genetic methods in combination with genomic, molecular genetics and computational tools to investigate genetic variants and their phenotypic effect. List of ongoin projects:
- Project leader: https://www.slu.se/en/faculties/vh/research/forskningsprojekt/hast/fights-flights-and-genes
- Collaborative project: Genetic analysis of infertility and subfertility in equidae: quantitative, cytogenetic-molecular analysis and complete genome association in females PRE. MICCIN (AGL2017-84217-P). University of Córdoba, Spain.
Bachelor degree (Bs) in Biology, UB, Spain, 2007
Master of Science (MSc) in Animal Breeding and Reproduction Biotechnology, IAMZ-UPV-UAB, Spain, 2009.
PhD in Equine Breeding and Conservation Genetics, “Phenotypic and genetic characterization of morpho-functional traits in purebred Menorca horses: development of new strategies for use in its conservation and breeding program”. Department of Genetics, UCO, Spain, 2013.
I was co-supervisor for Sara Negro, who defended her thesis on July 27, 2017. Project title: Genetic improvement of trotting ability: detection of SNPs genes related to sport performance and behaviour for the implementation of selection assisted by markers on the Spanish trotting horse. Entity: Universidad de Córdoba, Spain.
32. Solé M, Lindgren G, Bongcam-Rudloff E, Jansson A. 2020. Benefits and risks of barefoot harness racing in Standardbred trotters. Animal Science Journal. In press
31. Azcona F, Valera M, Molina A, et al. 2020. Impact of reproductive biotechnologies on genetic variability of Argentine Polo horses. Livest Sci. 231, 103848.
30. Velie BD, Smith PM, Fjordbakk CT, et al. 2020. Exploring the genetics underpinning dynamic laryngeal collapse associated with poll flexion in Norwegian-Swedish Coldblooded Trotter racehorses. Equine Vet J. 52(2):174-180.
29. Shrestha M†, Solé M†, Ducro B, et al. 2020. Genome-wide association study for insect bite hypersensitivity susceptibility in horses revealed novel associated loci on chromosome 1. J Anim Breed Genet. 137(2):223-233.
28. Solé M, Ablondi M, Binzer A, et al. 2019. Inter- and intra-breed genome-wide copy number diversity in a large cohort of European equine breeds. BMC Genom. 20, 759
27. Solé M, Sánchez-Guerrero MJ, Azor PJ, et al. 2019. Drawbacks and consequences of selective strategies in the design of semen banks: case study of the Pura Raza Español horse breed. Livest Sci. 226, 93-98.
26. Negro S, Sánchez-Guerrero MJ, Bartolomé E, et al. 2019. Evidence for the effect of serotoninergic and dopaminergic gene variants on stress levels in horses participating in dressage and harness racing. Anim Prod Sci. 59(12) 2206-2211.
25. Velie B, Solé M, Jäderkvist-Fegraeus K, et al. 2019. Genomic measures of inbreeding in the Norwegian-Swedish Coldblooded Trotter and their associations with known reproductive and health trait QTLs. Genet Sel Evol. 51(1):22.
24. Velie B, Lillie, M, Jäderkvist-Fegraeus K, et al. 2019.Exploring the genetics of trotting racing ability in horses using a unique Nordic horse model. BMC Genom. 20(1):104.
23. Sanchez MJ, Solé M, Azor PJ, et al. 2019. Genetic and environmental risk factors for vitiligo and melanoma in Pura Raza Español horses. Equine Vet J. 51(5), 606-611.
22. Sánchez MJ, Negro S, Demyda-Peyrás S, et al. 2018. Morphological and genetic diversity of Pura Raza Español horse regarding to the coat color. Anim Sci J. 90(1), 14-22.
21. Velie B, Jäderkvist-Fegraeus K, Solé M, et al. 2018. A genome-wide association study for harness racing success in the Norwegian-Swedish Coldblooded Trotter reveals genes for learning and energy metabolism. BMC Gene. 19:80.
20. Solé M, Valera M, Fernández J. 2018. Genetic structure and connectivity analysis in a large domestic livestock meta-population: the case of the Pura Raza Español horses. J Anim Breed Genet. 135(6), 460-471.
19. Negro S, Bartolomé E, Molina A, et al. 2018. Stress level effects on sport performance during trotting races in Spanish Trotter horses. Res Vet Sci. 118, 86-90.
18. Anaya G, Valera M, Molina A, et al. 2018. Prevalence of twin foaling and blood chimaerism in purebred Spanish horses. Equine Vet J. 234, 142-144.
17. Solé M, Gori AS, Faux P, et al. 2017. Age-based partitioning of individual genomic inbreeding levels in Belgian Blue beef cattle. Genet Sel Evol. 49:92.
16. Morales R, Phocas F, Solé M, et al. 2017. Breeding beef cattle for an extended productive life: Evaluation of selection criteria in the Retinta breed. Livest Sci. 204,115-121.
15. Solé M, Sanchez MJ, Valera M, et al. 2017. Assessment of sportive longevity in Pura Raza Español dressage horses. Livest Sci. 203, 69-75.
14. Solé M, Bartolomé E, Sánchez MJ, et al. 2017. Predictability of adult Show Jumping ability from early information: alternative selection strategies in the Spanish Sport Horse population. Livest Sci. 200, 23-28.
13. Solé M, Sölkner J, Gómez MD, et al. G. 2017. Heritability and factors associated with number of harness race starts in the Spanish Trotter horse population. Equine Vet J. 49(3), 288-293.
12. Negro S, Imsland F, Valera M, et al. 2017. Association analysis of mutations in KIT, MITF and PAX3 genes with white markings in horses. Anim Genet. 48(3), 349-352.
11. Negro S, Solé M*, Pelayo R, et al. 2016. Molecular diversity between two cohorts of six Spanish horse-riding breeds: impact of selection in Mixed-Breed vs Purebred populations Livest Sci. 193, 88–91.
10. Solé M, Negro S, Membrillo A, et al. 2016. Association analysis of c.105G->A SNP in CAPN1 gene with carcass and meat quality traits in goose raised in organic dehesa. Arch Tierzucht. 59, 423-428.
9. Negro S, Valera, M, Membrillo A, et al. 2016. Quantitative analysis of short and long distance racing performance in young and adult horses and association analysis with functional candidate genes in Spanish Trotter Horses. J Anim Breed Genet. 133(5), 347-56.
8. Solé M, Peña F, Domenech V, et al. 2016. Carcass and meat quality traits in an Embden x Toulouse goose cross raised in ecological dehesa. Asia-Austras J Anim Sci. 29(6), 838-44.
7. Pelayo R, Solé M, Sánchez MJ, et al. 2015. Behavioral linear standardized scoring system of the Lidia cattle breed by testing in herd: estimation of genetic parameters. J Anim Breed Genet. 133(5), 414-21.
6. Solé M, Cervantes I, Gutiérrez JP, et al. 2014. Estimation of genetic parameters for morphological and functional traits in a Menorca horse population. Span J Agric Res. 12(1), 125-132.
5. Solé M, Santos R, Molina A, et al. 2014. Genetic analysis of kinematic traits at the trot in Lusitano horse subpopulations with different types of training. Animal. 8(2), 192-199.
4. Solé M, Gómez MD, Galisteo AM, et al. 2013. Kinematic characterization of the Menorca horse at the walk and the trot: influence of hind limb pastern inclination. J Equine Vet Sci. 33, 726-732.
3. Solé M, Gómez MD, Molina A, et al. 2013. Analyses of conformational performance differentiation among functional breeding goals in the Menorca horse breed. Arch Tierzucht. 56(37), 367-379.
2. Solé M, Santos R, Gómez MD, et al. 2013. Evaluation of conformation against traits associated with dressage ability in unridden Iberian horses at the trot. Res Vet Sci. 95, 660-666.
1. Solé M, Valera M, Gómez MD, et al. 2013. Implementation of Optimum Contributions Selection in endangered local breeds: the case of Menorca Horse population. J Anim Breed Genet. 130, 218-226.