Reporting incidents in IA

Last changed: 03 April 2024

On this page, you can read about reporting incidents, that is events that led to, or could have led to, someone being injured or to property being damaged. You can also report events or behaviour that could damage SLU operations or are contrary to the laws and regulations in force. Improvement proposals can also be submitted here. Reporting is done using the IA system. IA is short for information om arbetsmiljö (work environment information).

If you are not sure whether something should be reported or not, consult your line manager or one of the function managers. You will find contact details at the bottom of the page.

Why submit a report?

It is important that everyone at SLU feels responsible also for events that do not concern their operations or immediate surroundings.

To enable SLU to prevent and avoid all kinds of accidents and occupational illnesses, everyone must contribute by reporting incidents and accidents. As a public authority, we are also obligated to report certain events.

This gives us a chance to identify patterns and follow up on statistics, which means that preventive and other measures can be taken in a structured and systematic manner. What the individual perceives as an isolated incident can, in fact, be part of a series of incidents that show some kind of pattern.

When to report?

Ideally, you should report an incident as soon as possible after it takes place. This is to ensure you have a fresh memory of it and to enable those responsible to act and inform others if necessary.

Who carries out or is responsible for possible measures depends on the incident. This means that different people and functions can become involved. This could be your line manager, a senior manager, the Security Unit, the Division of Human Resources, the Division of IT, the Environment Unit etc.

What to report?

Click the button to report an incident.

Risk observation: You observe a risk of something happening. Ideally, you should act on this straight away, before something more serious happens.

Near miss: Something happened, but no-one was injured (“oops”). 

Accident: Something happened and at least one person was injured (“ouch”). It does not matter how minor the injury is.

Commuting accident: An accident occurred on the way to or from work, provided you travelled the normal route.

Work-related illness: Personal injury or illness casued by long-term physical strain such as heavy or monotonous work, vibrations, harmful substances or mentally stressful working conditions. Psychosocial events can also be reported as occupational disease.

Improvement proposal: Select this category if you have ideas or proposals for measures that could contribute to a better work environment at SLU. 

Environment: Environmental non-conformities include environmentally harmful incidents such as unintentional emissions to air, soil or water; non-compliance with environmental management system procedures; considerable waste of energy or resources; shortcomings in waste management etc. Environment-related improvement proposals can also be submitted under this category.

Property/security: Anything you perceive as security-related should be reported - risk to property, personal safety, information security etc. This can be incidents such as fire, break-ins, vandalism, personal threats, loss of computer or mobile phone, loss of information, phishing attempts, whaling, spam or hacking. Reporting personal data breaches is a legal requirement. Security-related improvement proposals can also be submitted under this category.

Quality: All operations using a quality management system should use this category to report quality-related events. Quality-related improvement proposals can also be submitted under this category.

How to submit a report?

Using a computer

Click the button Submit report at the top of the page and follow the instructions on the form. You can also access the form from the start pages of the staff web and the student web.

Using the IA app

The IA app has a simplified function for submitting reports. The app is available for iOs, Android and Windows Phone.

It has an offline mode, which means you can submit a report even you are not connected to the Internet. As soon as you connect again, the report will be sent to the IA system.

Install the app and log on 

Before you can submit a report using the app you need to download it from Google Play, the Appstore or Windows Store. In Google Play and Appstore, search for AFA Försäkring. For Windows Phone, search for IA.

Enter the username SLUapp and the password SLUapp2019.

Enter your name, email, division/department and form of employment. This information will be stored on the phone and you will not need to enter it every time you submit a report. Click Klar (Done) to save the information. 

Once you have logged in, avoid logging out as your data and any history will then be deleted.

To submit a report, click on one of the links below. You can also log in using the shared username and password above.

Please note that these are not the same username and password that you use for logging in to the web version of the IA system.

Report via the responsible unit

Contact the function concerned, see contact details below.

FAQ for students and staff

  • What does IA stand for and what is it used for? 

IA stands for informationssystem om arbetsmiljö=work environment information system. It is used to support the systematic work environment and improvement efforts at SLU. The system is provided by Afa Försäkring.

  • How do I report a work environment matter? 

Staff report via the staff pages, students via the student pages using the Emergency or incident button; or via the app.  

  • How do I report using the app? 

The app is available for iOS, Android and Windows phones. Log in manually using the details below, or scan the QR code with your phone.  

  • User: SLUapp 
  • Password: SLUapp2019 

QR code

  • Who should report using the IA system? 

Students and staff, but also scholarship holders, trainees, agency staff and contractors. Those not employed at SLU can still submit a report but may need the assistance of their line manager.  

  • Is it available in other languages than Swedish? 

Yes, it is available in several languages. The user can select the interface language themselves. However, all information entered needs to be in Swedish or English to ensure that managers and support staff can understand it. 

  • What happens when a report has been submitted? 

Student matters are forwarded to a super user and then sent to the head of department where the student is registered for investigation. The head of department can choose to involve more staff, like the director of studies or a teacher, as needed.

For staff matters, the responsible manager, the safety representative and the HR officer will receive an email informing them that the case has been registered. The manager will investigate and take the necessary measures.   

  •  Who is responsible for the IA system? 

The Division of Infrastructure (Infra) is the system owner, and together with the Division of Human Resources the information owner for the IA system.   

  • Can you submit an anonymous report? 

In principle, anonymous reports should not be submitted. This is because it makes it more difficult for the manager/head of department to investigate the case, and the measures taken may not have the intended effect. However, if you still want to report something anonymously, talk to your safety representative or a colleague. They can then report the matter on your behalf in the IA system.

You will need to enter your personal identity number; if you want to report anonymously, replace the last four digits with 0000, or write ‘19121212-1212’ instead of the number. If you submit a report on behalf of someone else, make sure you give the correct unit. 

  • What do you do if you work at more than one SLU unit? 

If an employee belongs to more than one cost centre, submit the report for the cost centre where the incident occurred.  

  • How do students report harassment? 

Harassment should not be reported in the IA system, there are special procedures in place for reporting harassment.

  • How do staff report victimisation? 

Victimisation should not be reported in the IA system, there are special procedures in place for reporting victimisation.

  • How do I report threats and violence? 

If someone is threatened or subjected to violence, call the police at 112. Such cases should also be reported and processed in the IA system. 

FAQ for managers and health and safety representatives

  • I’m a manager/head of department but cannot log on to the system, why is this?  

First, try using another web browser. If that does not help, it is probably because you are not registered in Idis with the role manager or health and safety representative. Contact the directory administrator at your department/equivalent and ask them to update your Idis entry.

  • How does the role of health and safety representative work in the IA system? 

As a health and safety representative, you will receive an email when a case is reported. The responsible manager will receive the same email, you will need to work together and decide on suitable measures. 

  • Who can I turn to if I have questions about  how to handle a case? 

Contact your HR officer. If they cannot help, there is a super user group who can answer questions. They can be reached at

  • I’m a manager/head of department, how do I delegate cases to someone else at the department, e.g. the deputy head?

Contact who will forward the case to the right person.

  • I’m a manager/head of department and I have received a case from an employee who has another manager, why is this? 

This is usually because the employee picked the wrong employment unit when they submitted their report. Employees must check that they enter the correct unit. If you receive a case intended for another manager, contact

  • Can you report incidents to the Swedish Swedish Social Insurance Agency and the Swedish Work Environment Authority? 

Yes, you can submit a report to these two public authorities on the tab Claims. The advantage of reporting via the IA system is that a note will be added stating that the incident has been reported to these two public authorities. That way, the responsible manager, and any manager taking over the case, can easily see that this has been done.

  • I’m a manager/head of department, what do I need to do in case of a serious work-related accident?  

Serious accidents must be reported to the Swedish Work Environment Authority, preferably within 24 hours. They must also be reported to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. You can do this at (Swedish only), or the tab Claims in the IA case entry.   

  • As a manager, how do I mark a case as closed? 

All checkboxes on the tabs Investigation and Actions & Follow-up must be checked.  

  • How will I know when a case is closed? 

Closed cases will be indicated by a star.  

  • How do I report something that affects me as a manager/head of department? 

If you report something in the IA system, this will be registered at the cost centre you belong to but should be handled by your manager. You will need to change the employment unit for the case to be sent to and handled by your manager. First change employment unit to the superordinate one, then change occurrence manager to your line manager.  

  • Can managers/heads of department perform health and safety inspections and risk analyses the IA system? 

Yes, via the Risk management tab on the first page, managers/heads of department can initiate health and safety inspections and risk analyses. Remember to consult with your local health and safety representative.

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your report, your manager or someone else responsible for the case will receive an email notification. If AFA Försäkring needs a report, the employee is responsible for submittint this. Students are responsible for reporting to Kammarkollegiet. 

Once a case has been closed, the person who submitted the report will receive a notification, provided they have given an email address.

Acting on a report - managers

There is a procedure in place for acting on work environment incidents. Managers can appoint someone to investigate and/or take suitable measures. It is also possible to involve a safety representative to discuss various measures.

NB. Serious accidents at work must be reported immediately to the Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket). All occupational accidents must also be reported to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). The report is registered either in the IA system or at

More on handling reports.


Personal data

Reports and data are saved and processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and, when necessary, the Public Access to Information and Secrecy Act.