Summary of the of the guidelines for secondary employments/ancilliary occupation

Last changed: 06 May 2016

Secondary employment is any work carried out alongside your regular employment at SLU. As a general rule, secondary employment is permitted, provided the following rules are respected:

  1. Secondary employment must not constitute competition with SLU’s activities.
  2. Secondary employment must not impair the employee’s work.
  3. Secondary employment must not adversely affect SLU’s image, or in any way undermine the public’s trust in SLU.

Professors and senior lecturers are obliged to report certain kinds of secondary employment. However, all employees are expected to be familiar with the guidelines and report any secondary employment for assessment if they have reason to believe that the employment conflicts with university guidelines.

No other cases of secondary employment needs to be reported!

What is secondary employment?

Secondary employment is any work carried out alongside an employee’s principal employment, and which is not attributable to private life. This applies regardless of whether the employment is permanent or temporary, paid or not. The type of secondary employment may be of importance when it is assessed whether the employment is permitted or not. Even extra work for SLU or for another public agency can count as secondary employment. As a general rule, secondary employment is permitted.

What does not count as secondary employment?

Different kinds of activities that are typically part of private life do not count as secondary employment, such as taking care of private matters with no link to SLU, or practising a hobby the scope of which does not affect the employment at SLU.

Special case for professors and senior lecturers

Beyond what is stated above, you are obligated to keep SLU informed of any secondary employment you have close to the research are of your primary employment.

All reports are filed through Primula self service!

Who decides?

It is the head of your department that decides on reported secondary employment with support from the university legal services. Other related questions can be addressed to the Division of Human Resources.


HR specialists
HR Unit, Division of Human Resources