Environmentally harmful incidents

Last changed: 29 August 2019

Reporting an environmentally harmful incident

Environmental damage and unpredicted environmental incidents must be reported to the Environment Unit. All of SLU’s operations must submit reports.

Report an incident as soon as possible after it has occurred. That way, the person reporting the incident has a fresh memory of it and the Environment Unit can act quickly and inform others if necessary.

Contact the municipality’s environment office if the damage risks affecting the outside environment (chemical spillage, feared leakages into water or air).

Incidents involving chemicals

Small amount of dangerous chemicals

Innocuous spillage (e.g. ready-mixed solutions) and smaller amounts of spillage can be wiped up with paper or other absorbent material.

Larger amounts of dangerous chemicals

Someone spills a large amount of a dangerous chemical (e.g. a glass bottle with hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, nitric acid, phenol, flammable solvents). Emergency services must remove the substances.

Do the following:

  • Leave the premises immediately.
  • Close the door.
  • Call emergency services on 112 and explain there has been a chemical accident.
  • Notify your colleagues and ensure that no one enters the room.
  • Notify your immediate manager.