Using film in education is a growing concept area. The Division of Educational Affairs and the SLU Library have worked in the field for some time and we have received many questions from teachers on how to use film in their teaching. Therefore we have created a resource for you teachers at SLU!
Why a resource about using film in your teaching?
There are several arguments for the need and benefits of a resource for teachers on how to use film in teaching:
- The concept of the enhanced meaning of text (meaning that picture, sound and film are equal to text and speech) seems more relevant today, with society's emphasis on media. By viewing and using different learning styles, we promote equal education: we all learn in different ways.
- The concept of Flipped Classroom has taken leaps in education and is a great way to make teaching more effective. Concretely, this means that students are given a task to prepare (for example, watch a movie clip or read a chapter) before a lecture, and time can then be used for questions and discussions around the topic. It is a good tool in so-called blended learning.
Because SLU is a dispersed organization it can be a good idea to use film as a learning resource and share material in a good way.
With this as a background, we sought and received educational development funds to inspire and give you, teachers at SLU, the knowledge to work with film. This is the outcome of the project.
How do the modules work?
The resource is web-based and based on independent study. It is divided into three modules that consists of:
1. Pedagogical thoughts and concepts that frame films for education
2. Practical tools for recording and editing films
3. Copyright aspects regarding film
Each module begins with a brief introduction of the module. You can jump freely between the modules' content depending on what you want to learn more about.
Here you find the webresource "Use film in your teaching"
We hope you will be inspired and discover smart tools that you may find useful in your teaching and also will have a good time while doing it!